Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Session 21 - Feb 17 - 1st/2nd Peak

Sunday Feb 17, 4 - 6:15 PM, 7'0 Brewer

POST #100!!! That is 31 posts more than my previously most prolific blog, Paneer Belly. For a blog started on a whim, Horace has definitely proven to have some staying power. Of course my 150 goal plus logging every surf session doesn't hurt.

Back to the session. After Saturdays super swell, Selin and I packed up the Yaris and headed to SF for the night -- her high school was having a get together for west coast alumni. So we went to that and stayed up there, Hotwire is pretty sweet for a hotel deal -- we got a room at a top notch swanky hotel for 60% off normal rate (Clift Hotel). We hung out in SF for a while Sunday, had some delicious crab in China town, and hit the road in the afternoon back to SC. I decided to go out for an evening glass-off session, nice that our days are starting to get a bit longer. Swell had dropped so spots weren't exactly firing any more, but still plenty of waves to be had. Took the Brewer as I unfortunately dinged my Taylor in the parking lot (now fixed as of yesterday). On the way out a guy asked about the board, he was a fan of Dick Brewer surfboards, liked the rescue operation of a quality surfboard of that caliber...shame to see it go to waste. Anyways climbed down and paddled out straight to 1st peak area, wasn't too much of a crowd, caught some there, worked my way in to 2nd peak as has been my M.O. out at this spot lately. I can definitely feel the difference between the brewer and the shorter narrower thinner Taylor now -- both great boards, with their own strengths and weaknesses. Certainly no problem catching waves on the super thick Brewer. Ended the session on a nice walled up wave I surfed halfway to 38th and paddled on in and went up the 38th ave stairs for the short walk home to a nice warm shower.

No comments: