Sunday, February 3, 2008

Session 11 - Feb 3 - Hook

Sunday, Feb 3, 9:00 - 12:30, Hook, 6'8 Taylor

Finally! A worthwhile surf session. My last several had been complete stinkers, this one made up for it. Also was an actual chance to really try out my new board. It rides well. I'll continue to get better at it, looking forward to more tomorrow. So I woke up early and did my surf check walk. Nobody out at the point or 38th, as still pretty mixed up out there, but was a small group at the Hook. I walked back and went to join 'em. As my session progressed, more and more people showed up, but still pretty light pack for a Sunday at that spot, which is normally VERY crowded. So all good there, I think I can thank Surfline's 'POOR' rating for the day for at least some of that, thanks Surfline. It was definitely not poor though, solid fun head high on the sets pretty consistent waves coming through, of which I got my fair share. I still suck so much backside though, but enough about that, I always complain about that. But on a few where I was too deep to catch the longer right I went left, and everything is so much easier...on one I had a really nice pop out at the end of the wave, where I turned out of it and popped the board right into my hands laying down on it going back over the wave, tough to describe but at least I know what I'm talking about, smoooooth. There were some very impressive surfers out, but I managed to still catch waves amongst them, one guy was probably about as good as I've ever seen, tearing those waves apart. I'll never be able to do that, but some of the other guys I can aspire to, maybe, some day.

As for the new board it's good. I like the short board, it's exciting to challenge myself and work on progressing with something new. Looking forward to tomorrow's session, hopefully it's the same or better. I don't get many chances to surf midday on Monday, but tomorrow because of a work trip I have the morning off so I plan to make the most of it. Which means, bedtime!

No comments: