Monday, February 11, 2008

session 17 - Feb 10 - LM

Sunday Feb 10, 4-6 PM, 6'8 Taylor

Saturday's super swell had dropped by Sunday, so the call was to travel north. In retrospect, I probably traveled too far north, I bet the north SC spots would've been much better than where I wound up, windy and pretty sloppy. But, Selin had lunch plans with friends in Mt View in the afternoon, so we drove back over the hill from SC in the morning and I dropped her off. I then continued onwards in the quest for more waves. Decided to take HW 92 over from 280 into Half Moon Bay...big mistake. That 6 mile stretch of single lane winding highway took me about 50 minutes of driving. Or rather, sitting not moving...crazy. 1st sunny weekend in a long time, guess I wasn't the only one wanting to head to the beach, that was bad. I'll stick to back roads on future sun-filled days. Finally made it and checked K Street, no good, not a single person out, not good at all. At this point I knew I was in for a bit of a let down. Continued north, jetty no good, montara a mess, checked Rockaway one guy out big and messy, so LM it is. LM had the normal pack of weekenders on it, without fail there'll be at least some people out there on any weekend day. Surf was nothing to get excited about, but I was able to catch a lot of short, fast rides, good practice on being quicker none the less. When given the opportunity, I primarily hunt for lefts at LM, so I'd say my ratio was about 80/20 lefts. Managed quite a few short but decent rides given the quality of the surf, made the most of it. The kind of wave that allows you a drop and one quick bottom turn if that and then time to pull out, not much more than that. Nice warm sunny day though, surfed til it was pretty much dark and was never even remotely cold.

Surf forecast is looking pretty good throughout the rest of the week, so pumped about that, will get out there as often as I can. Plus I have MORE new boards to try out -- more on that in a bit. My personal surfboard collection is now up to TEN...I'm a sucker for a good deal, but even I have to admit this might be getting a little out of hand. :) Joel, if you get down here, I've got a present waiting for you...

1 comment:

Blaze The Trail Cat said...

Very nice new Horace header. Maybe you can start a side business creating MS Paint blog logos.

So you have 10 surfboards now, impressive. The board shed is going to need to be expanded! I'm coming down there to Cali soon and I'll see if I can ride all of them. Maybe I'll break one, haha!

Anyway I'm enjoying your blog, thanks for making me jealous all the time. Portland is certainly not Surf City, USA. See ya!