Monday, June 9, 2008

Session 86 - June 8 - Hook

Sunday June 8, 2:30-4:30, 6'2 KS Fish

I had big plans of going somewhere north today to get some real waves, even got so far as loading up my car w/ two boards, wetsuit, and everything else...and I made it all the way to the Hook...but as I slowly drove past the Hook craning my neck to see what was happening out there I saw a nice fun clean chest high or so set rolling through...and so I just kept on driving right around the block, looped back to my house, unloaded the car, and walked to the Hook. You just can't beat walking to surf, when it comes down to it. That long(ish) drive up the coast to who-knows-what especially when it's windy just wasn't appealing to me at the time.

So I wound up at the Hook and made the most of it. Small, fast, but fun waves, and the kirkshapes fish was the right tool for the job, fun board for out there -- it's probably exactly what that board was made for, as Kirk (the shaper) is a noted Hook regular. Those waves are great practice for me, small and fast, really leave you no room for error, so it's good to get out there and try to make the most of 'em, if I'm lucky I get in one mini turn. Anyways it was fun, nice, close by, warm water, not too bad of a crowd, and I got to walk home after. Good livin'.

One other realization I'll post very quickly is that small summer days at the Hook are not a good form of exercise. Is there a surf spot anywhere that requires less paddling?

2 comments:

Matt and Veronica Luttrell said...

Point Panic maybe?

Nic said...

Point Panic: a worthy suggestion. But w/o a doubt more paddling -- you've got to get in from those stairs and then make the paddle around the point... The Hook: walk down a staircase, paddle straight out about 20 feet, boom you're smack in the center of the lineup.