Monday, June 2, 2008

Session 83 - June 1 - Hook

Sunday June 1, 5:45-7:15 PM, 6'8 Taylor

After getting some work done around the house, getting a quick visit by Kurt from work to show him around and walk along east Cliff, and doing a botched attempt at repairing the huge fin gash on that 8'6 longboard I picked up a while ago, I decided to go for a quick surf. Kurt and I had seen some actually fun looking, but very inconsistent, waves coming through the hook, so that's where I went. And that's what I got. Some fun, fast but makeable waves, with some really really long waits in between. But it was worth it to get out there, and I caught 2 waves that were memorable, that I stayed out in front of and managed to build some pretty good speed. Certainly wasn't crowded (why would it be, wasn't really that good) and so that's fun, able to get the set waves of pretty much all the 4 or 5 total sets that came through in the session.

On the topic of ding repair, this board has been a lot of work...it's getting close to finished (finally) but that fin gash I'm going to have to do over again...I need some really good filler, better than the q-cell I have right now I think (or I just need to learn how to properly use q-cell). Otherwise, I'll be using practically the entire bottle of resin to fill that thing -- that gash is huge. Once that is all finished though that board will be in good shape...some definite battle scars, but on the things that really matter, that board is practically like new. I don't plan to keep it though, will likely sell that one for a small profit to reflect the work (and supplies!) that have been poured into it.

Monday! Back to work....

No comments: