Friday, January 4, 2008

storms a' here

Yes, definitely no surf session #2 this morning. Not a CHANCE. Storm was/is a doozy, actually seems to be living up to the hype which is not always the case (or maybe that is just the case with surf forecasts. They're always hyping the next swell to be the biggest since .... and it inevitably falls short. My theory is it's just to get more people to visit the websites/webcams so they can charge more for ads). Anyways wind was howling all night and really blowing like crazy this morning, ocean as expected a complete mess, NO chance of getting in there, no thank you please very much staying INSIDE on this one. I lost power this morning while I was in the shower, making me one of the 29,000 Santa Cruzans w/o it this morning (395,000 across the entire bay area). (More storm news here). The drive over the hill was not as bad as it could have been, but definitely had to be careful as there are big puddles of standing water all over, hydroplaning central. I was afraid the Yaris was going to blow away on some of these wind gusts, but it held strong and actually I was quite pleased with it's performance. Storm is supposed to be peaking right about now, then calm down some, and another one is following right behind it...so it'll be a wet and windy weekend. That means (lots of) movienight(s)!!!! yes! (if the power is on that is)

Oh yes my little fence also blew down by the parking spot. It'll be easy to fix though, just a little small bamboo type fence that I just need to resecure and tie up again. Hopefully there are not more casualties since, because that wind was really blowing out there. I moved a few things and reinforced a few things this morning so hopefully that was good...hopefully the roof of my surfboard shack is still on as that is not exactly the most stormproof bit of construction labor (ie I built it myself)

update: I fixed the fence Sunday and made it better than ever in the process, it now stands practically straight up and is more secured. Also the nice little blossoming tree in the corner of my yard blew over. Not completely, but it was displaced quite a bit. I tied it to the fence to straighten it back up, so hopefully that works out as that is a pretty tree. Much prettier than the huge thornbush that threatens to take over the entire yard if it's not trimmed soon. I need some clippers. Oh and also the board shed roof was firmly in place and all boards and surf items undisturbed. Victory!

No comments: