Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Session 3 - January 8 - Linda Mar

January 8, 7:30 - 9:15, North end LM, 8'10 Vernor

Man this day is going slow.

But to the surf! Had a great DP session this morning at LM. Had a hunch conditions might be good despite the bad reports and it paid off, conditions were about as good as LM gets out there. I tried to get some surf@ people to come join (it's the surfing email alias here at work, there's about 60 subscribers or so. It gets posted to every now and then, I'm trying to revive it a bit) but didn't have any takers, but in the interest of saving time here's the session report I emailed them after:

Post surf update - was actually surprisingly good out there at Linda Mar this morning. Very good actually! Where were all you guys? :)

From 7:30 to about 9 was actually about as good as LM gets, at least in my humble opinion...strong offshore wind, frequent head high sets on the north end of the beach, no crowd. Shared nice walled up left after left with about 5 or so people sitting around me, goofy footer paradise (besides the 50 ° water). One guy had one of those little wrist cameras and was taking pictures, but every time he had me lined up I'd wipe out...too much pressure!! :) A little after 9 the wind really started blowing, so I called it good and headed in. Almost got blown over on the walk back to the car, very quick very cold wetsuit change, heater to full blast, and on my way.

Fun stuff. See you next time!? (tomorrow?)

So that pretty much sums it up. It was actually really fun. The wind was blowing really hard and holding the waves open real nice, I was glad to have the 8'10 to help me get into em as some people were struggling a bit on the shortboards. Waves were fun, got some good rides, all lefts. But yeah that guy with the camera tried to get me twice (I had caught a real good wave right in front of him when he was paddling out, so I think he was trying to recapture that) and both times I had real kooky takeoffs, didn't fall outright but certainly wasn't pretty. Good waves too! That was a disappointment but oh well, I'll stick it next time. When there are no cameras around. Cameras who needs em anyways, I do it for the SOUL. Brah.

We're on for tomorrow again and two guys from work are joining me, (Colin and Ramin) so hopefully conditions hold up. Hope for the best, but at least I'm on my way to my 150 goal!

UPDATE: Manabu from Stokemaster was out there with me this morning, and he took a few photos after going in. From the looks of it, he took the photos down near the middle of the beach, as usual was smaller down there, but it gives you an idea what things looked like this morning (ie Nice.). Gotta love a strong offshore. Thanks for the pics M!

No comments: