Saturday, August 2, 2008

Ding King


I'm about to undertake on some serious ding repairage. Wish me luck. Gonna try to fix every ding on every board I have (that has dings). This could get interesting!

UPDATE
: Bulk ding repair is difficult.

UPDATE UPDATE:
Now with pictures! But first a little advice: If you're going to try and repair (and actually do a serviceable job) on 5 boards at once, your prep work is critical. Make sure you have each board COMPLETELY prepped and ready to go, taped off, wax paper ready, glass cloth cut to size, held in place in some way so it doesn't blow away and be impossible to find right when you need it, gloves somewhere you know where they are, places and work space laid out and strategized so you actually have somewhere to put all those boards when you're done working on them (grass and dirt specks in your otherwise pristine repair job are a real drag), and yeah, all that prep work -- sanding, taping, wax paper, etc etc -- it better all be done. And done well. And know that still, even after all this...you're still gonna be running around like a lunatic in a mad race against time (and quickly hardening polyurethane resin) to get things done before your brief window of opportunity runs out.

And oh yeah, last thing, you'll probably get a pretty good sunburn on your back too.





It was a busy afternoon, but all in all I'm pretty happy with the way my work turned out. The Junod was the biggest repair of the bunch, I haven't finished sanding that down yet, but it should come out pretty good. The others, which were pretty much all just minor rail dings, came out not quite as well as if I had focused entirely on them one-at-a-time, but for a bulk mass produced undertaking I can't complain. It's really all about how much sanding I'm willing to do anyways -- can always sand some more should I be so inclined.

I'll maybe try to take a photo or two of the finished product and throw it up here sometime. But no guarantees.

No comments: