Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dude.

My surf career took a huge hit yesterday. Huge. Freakin' enormously gynormous huge, crushing blow...

Despite all my efforts, energy, and dedication to the contrary, my actual real career still consists of a laptop computer, a telephone, and a long commute over the hill. And it is that actual real career that still pays the bills. So, sadly, I do have to devote some consideration to it from time to time...yesterday was one of those times.

Thanks to my diligence towards my job, I'm now a proud participant in a DAILY 9:30 AM strategy review meeting with some of the key folks on my product. It's probably good for me to get involved in this, get some exposure and lend my input as well, but seriously, man, WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO MY MORNING SURFS???? Now I know a lot of you are probably reading this and thinking to yourself, what the hell, what kind of spoiled idiot are you, 9:30 AM start of work? And yes I hear you, I absolutely realize 9:30 AM is far from the crack of dawn when it comes to getting your work day started. But, I do have the luxury of working for a company that lets me be pretty flexible in my hours -- now I've never taken complete advantage of this, but on those mornings when I do surf and when the surf is really good, I'll occasionally stroll in to the office around 10 or 10:15. I can kiss those days goodbye! Now I'm firmly on the clock, got to be checking my watch every 10 minutes, stressing the commute, stressing getting that last wave in, stressing stressing stressing...man seriously I'm not excited about this. Not one bit.

Dang responsibility!

(footnotes:
- this would be no big deal if it was say, 2 times a week. No problem. Every day though? ugh.
- I'll say it again, 9:30 is far from early. I realize that. I've just had a pretty nice flexible schedule now for a long time...and now I don't. I'm just trying to deal with that right now. Surfblog venting. Bear with me.
- And for what it's worth, I do come in early on non-surf days. And stay late on surf-days. And do a (reasonably) good job.
- the commute took an extra 20 minutes this morning due to my new required arrival time. again, UGH.
- thanks for listening.)

UPDATE: Wow! My complaining must have been heard by someone, somewhere...because these meetings are now rescheduled! We've changed the format around a bit so now only have meetings twice weekly and no longer at 9:30. Sweeeeeet! That was short-lived, I almost feel guilty now for making such a big stink of it! But not really.

1 comment:

Josh said...

Cash out now!! Cash out now!!

Haha j/k it will all work out my friend :-) Keep your head up...

-Josh