Thursday, May 29, 2008

Blogroll

Back from Chicago, back to work. Busy busy busy, I've managed to get myself actually really busy here at work over the last month and a half or so, you get what you ask for I guess, and I certainly put my name out there and volunteered to be the main point of contact for a bunch of various things -- they're all coming to me now. Busy and involved though beats bored and detached, gotta say.

Anyways not a whole lot of time for Horace posts, but I'll always squeeze 'em in there when I can. Such as now.

If you've ever read any of my prior posts, you'll know I read a lot of surf blogs (but not at work. Anymore). In general, surf blogs run a wide range from complete and total waste of time, never updated, nearly illiterate junk to moderately interesting to thoroughly compelling. My most recent surf blog discovery fall firmly into that final category -- it's got to be by far the most entertaining, well written, and overall plain enjoyable piece of surf bloggingship I've ever come across. I've spent the last two post-work web-surfing on the couch at home sessions reading every single one of the posts from the archives, and so far I've only just now managed to get through 2004...still a lot of reading to be done:

http://colparker.blogspot.com

I really enjoy the stories, and I've got to say I'm pretty much spot on in agreement with him on most of his perspectives and views on surf culture, locals, aggro rippers, fashion, etc etc. I also admire that he really lets it rip on his blog -- he'll say what he wants, name names, whatever. I respect that -- not afraid -- and it makes for some really entertaining reads. Plus he's originally from Palo Alto, just up the road from where I spend my work week, and appears to have some sort of involvement in the tech industry, so points for that too. Anyways -- good writing, good surf stories, good blog. I hope you enjoy.

If you only have time to read one (two) posts, and have an interest in Bali or just general third world international (surf) travel, start with the posts here -- 'Fear and loathing in Bali' Part I & II. Great stuff. The rest of the posts don't disappoint either...read them too.

Surf pretty flat of late but I'm anxious to get in the water, so making a SC drive tonight to see what I can hunt down...usually can find something. If not, it's ding-repair time.

No comments: