Monday, December 10, 2007

weekend surf recap 5

While fresh in my mind and before I get back to my work to-do list, here's the weekend write-up.

Saturday Dec 8: We had our company holiday party on Friday night, so we stayed in Mt View Friday. Holiday party was fun, great company. On Saturday we woke up and drove to SF and did a little shopping. Went to this one store Selin likes called Jeremy's and then to H&M and used a 25% off coupon Selin had gotten her hands on. I got a new shirt and a new polo shirt. Then we cruised on down 280 to 17 to Santa Cruz for the afternoon. I really like the bay area, it is such an amazing, sunny place, with so much to do. Surf is pretty small this weekend, so I used the 6'2 fish out at the Hook from about 3:30 til past dark. It gets dark early now! Surf was pretty fun out there though I must say. A bit crowded especially at the start, but I was able to hold my own and catch my fair share of waves. The real good surfers weren't out, more a mix of middle-range guys like me and one or two good guys, and then beginners. Hook is really a fun wave, it's fast enough to give you some punch but if you catch a good one it holds its shape really well and gives you a nice little wall to try and work with...I'm working on doing something w/ that wall instead of just cruising along it. Got a few quick turns and one nice off the lip that I remember. So I stayed out until the sun was completely down and it was just me and one other guy. The surf really started coming in then too...in the last 15 minutes I must've caught 8 waves or so, good ones too as the last remnants of sunshine were going away over the horizon. It was a COLD walk back home though -- sure seemed a lot longer on the way back, dripping, wet, shivering in my wetsuit then it did on the way there. Got in the shower and my hands and feet were bright red and numb, and really hurt a lot in the contrasting hot shower water. 15 minutes later they had recovered, no frostbite, no amputated appendages.

Sunday Dec 9: Surf had gotten smaller. I went for a long walk in the morning and checked most of the east side spots. Was nice and sunny and cold outside. High tide. Found some nooks and crannies I'll have to add to the spotcheck list. Wound up driving north in the afternoon, in the ongoing quest to surf more spots I decided to hit 3 mile. Parked and did the long walk in. Carried my wetsuit in the wetsuit bin and changed on the rocks, left the bin behind on the rocks in an easily visible place. It was too sunny to change out on the road by the car. Pretty spot there at 3 mile. The surf actually breaks at a point far from the beach, and you access it by walking even further and then scrambling down some rocks. Absolutely beautiful beach and coast area. As for surf was bigger than expected and real bumpy. I took the 6'2 fish again, should've taken something else...as it was just pretty bumpy for me on that little thing. I wasn't really feeling it so only caught 2 waves and came in. Sat in the sun for a bit and then made the hike back out and home.

Weekends are always over way too fast.

No comments: