Thursday, December 20, 2007

morning drive

Surf no good this morning. Very no good...not even worth getting in the water no good. And I usually get in the water when I've woken up at 6 am and driven 50 minutes for it. Anyways wind was blowing pretty hard on shore, and was a jumbly mess. I wasn't expecting it to be good at all but needed to do a little first-hand research into it, marking this down for future reference...I've learned a lot about what buoys and period and readings mean, but until you see what those readings translate into in terms of actual surf at the actual spot, they don't mean a whole lot. I'm gaining that second part of the equation now.

-spot: Linda Mar and all HMB/San Mateo breaks
-swell 6 ft holding
-period 13 sec increasing
-wind 14 Kt from S(180) Gust: 16 Kt
-plus probably most notable for this morning's suckage: high tide
6:24 AM 6.30 ft (that is a pretty high high, right around when I wanted to go out. It might actually be surfable now on the lower tide, but probably not.)

Thanks to Stokemaster for the readings. This morning Santa Cruz woulda been the right direction, shoulda gone that way instead of north. SC is a great place.

On that note, had a good morning session at the Hook yesterday. How's this for lazy (or is it efficient?)...instead of walking the maybe half mile to the Hook from home, I packed up my car with two boards and drove to the parking lot. I suited up in the lot, surfed, showered in the public shower, loaded the car and came straight to work. While this may strike you as very lazy, it was actually much more efficient...plus it allowed me to take 2 boards and pick the one I wanted once I saw the conditions and how many people were out. And it saves me the (slightly less than) 7 minute or so walk back and forth, plus the additional delay time swinging by home inevitably adds on. What I really need though is a bike w/ a rack, that'd definitely be ideal, high on the list. Internet would be good to have over there too -- could go online to just check in and make sure I wasn't missing any work stuff before making the drive. Will get to that in '08.

No comments: