Monday, October 29, 2007

Weekend recap

Hello Reader(s)! I hope you had a lovely weekend. I did. The weather was beautiful in Santa Cruz, sun shining, no wind, temperature just the right blend between fall/winter briskness and summertime warmth...it was a great weekend to be at the beach. Surf was pretty tiny, so nothing going out front at Pleasure Point, but it provided a fantastic excuse for Selin and I to explore the beautiful northern coastline.

SATURDAY OCT 27: I dropped Selin off downtown to hang w/ her friend Theresa, and I went solo all the way to Montara -- maiden voyage for the new Yaris on HW 1!!! That is quite a stretch of HW to drive from SC to Montara. So many little beaches and coves and fields and pumpkin patches and rolling hills and pretty scenery, and all of it such a short jump away from such densely populated SF, San Jose, peninsula, SC...refreshing. I checked a few spots on the way and contemplated Waddel Creek, which was breaking OK, but decided to just keep on driving as I was enjoying it. I pulled into a lot of beaches, there was NO wind so it was really pretty good conditions, but all were at best waist high or so. I was hoping for a little bigger so kept on cruising. Montara, to my knowledge, is usually one of the bigger places around, so that's where I went...it was bigger but not by much. I forbade myself from further driving and went out near the middle of the beach. There were about 10 or so guys there, and another 10 or so further north. I was surfing the 6'2 fish...really a lot of fun to surf as I'm getting more used to it. I did a lot better than last time. Waves were fun, sun was out, crowd was light and a lot of em weren't very good, so that's always a plus for my wave count (and my ego). One of em asked how I liked my fish. It's fun to get questions like that, fun to surf a board that is 'en vogue' and trendy amongst the general bandwagon surf populace, so hot right now, people are interested in it. And it really is a lot of fun in conditions like this weekends. Will it replace a good old fashioned longboard for me out at pleasure point? Probably not any time soon, but it's an intriguing option to have. And it's another surfing skill I'm trying to add, getting quicker on it and surfing it more in the style it is intended to be used. Anyways it was a fun 2 hour or so session out there, got a lot of waves, some I surfed good and others not so good. As the tide really came up and wind picked up later in the afternoon, I called it a session and hit the road. Plugged in the IPod and was on my way. Soundtrack (as best I can remember now that it's Monday): Matisyahu (Youth) on the way up, Outkast (Aquemini) on the way down. Aquemini is a really good Outkast CD.

LUNCHTIME!

No comments: