Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

Happy Earth Day all. 

I'm sad to say I drove to work today. All 1.2 miles of it. When I drive home (again) after work today, the first thing I'm doing is going down in the basement, finding that old bike, and fixing it. From then on, I'll start riding that old bike the 1.2 miles. Whenever I can. 

On that note, today's entry on OceansWavesBeaches (the Surfrider blog) resonated with me. Find some meaning. Fixing that bike is small, trivial, but...it is something I can do that to me, has a meaning. And if it took Earth Day, today, to drive me to do it, then Earth Day is well worth it. 

Also, you know something I'm interested in? Gardening. And plants. And eco-friendly gardens. Maybe some day I'll do something with that interest. It'd be fun to work on something like that. 

(Another thanks to Surfrider (you guys are on fire today) for the entry today on Ocean Friendly Gardens)

Happy Earth Day. Time to go fix that bike.

2 comments:

Josh said...

Nic, that is awesome. just don't get a fixie or you'll end up like Ramin. if you are ever looking for a way to learn more about gardening, check out Alemany Farm in SF: http://www.alemanyfarm.org/They grow produce for a subsidized farmers market in Hunters Point/ Bayview and are generally just very cool. You can volunteer there on the weekends and they hook you up with a ton of awesome produce.

Nic said...

Sweet thanks Josh! I'll try to get up there with Selin one of these weekends. Would be a fun (non-surfing) activity. (We need more of those. sometimes.)